Vision for Summer Camp Staff
With a host of summer camps throughout the world, what are the unique marks of Twin Lakes Camp? Camp is an incredibly fun place to be! The goal, however, for our staff is not primarily to be a place of personal relaxation and enjoyment. Though Twin Lakes stands firmly on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the camp ministry does not target a single moment to hand the Gospel to campers. Rather, the Twin Lakes staff works to help train up children in each moment of camp by cultivating in them a love for God. Because campers spend nearly 24 hours a day with their counselor, camp presents a unique opportunity for our staff to live out the commands in Deuteronomy 6:
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.”
While our summer program sets time aside for camper devotions, activity object lessons, and camp worship and bible study, we encourage our staff to view each moment as a chance to shepherd the hearts of children and cultivate their hearts for Christ. We seek individuals who are faithful and teachable to guard children physically and emotionally, to guide children into the truth of God’s Word, and to give of themselves for children throughout the summer.
Values for Summer Camp Staff
- Gospel – We believe that those whose first love is Christ, are those best equipped to love Christ’s creation. Because our hearts were made for God, we must not love the gifts over the Giver himself. Twin Lakes' program design is for all of the camp community to hear the Gospel. The program aims to point people to Jesus and see in our staff a growing relationship with Christ.
2. Counselors – While Twin Lakes involves a variety of experiences in the daily schedule, we believe that the counselors make or break the camp program. Regardless of the size or expense of any game or activity, the counselor sets the pace for the enjoyment and safety for the campers. Campers come because they want to be with counselors who accept them and have fun with them. As the front lines of the ministry, our summer staff is the program for each camper who attends Twin Lakes.
3. Fun – Twin Lakes aims at the preservation of each camper’s childhood. Away from much of the distraction of technology and modern culture, Twin Lakes promotes a fun atmosphere full of activities, skits, silly songs, and entertaining camp programs. Twin Lakes is the place to be!
4. Safety – Twin Lakes is committed to the physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being of the entire camp community. While some camp activities contain some risk, the program’s design and maintenance encourage safety in every relationship and all activities.
Experiences of Twin Lakes Summer Staff
- Community – Our summer staff is a diverse, temporary community that promotes and enables the growth of each of its members as they worship and serve together. Many summer staffers come away with a new vision and desire to grow in a community of believers.
2. Culture – At Twin Lakes, our aim is not to escape the world but to engage in God’s Word and rest from the world’s distractions. We hope to challenge one another by immersing ourselves in the camp mission and a spiritual community.
3. Challenge - Camp is a place where each person is stretched mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. While it requires patience and physical stamina, it is a great opportunity for God to sanctify you by his grace!
Expectations Of Summer Camp Staff
- Commitment to Program – Life is different at camp from most other settings. In one sense, we limit our freedoms in order to impact the most campers and parents. Camp is an opportunity to teach children to ‘unplug’ from many distractions and attitudes of the world. (Ex: Attire, technology, relationships, etc.)
2. Care for Children - We strive to place the needs of campers above our own. A sincere desire to serve, minister to and work with children is key to what we do and foundational for a positive experience on our summer staff.
3. Character in Life – For each person working at Twin Lakes, they are expected to walk in a manner worthy of the calling they have received. There are no perfect people. Christians only become children of God by grace. Yet, because of this grace, we are called to carry ourselves with integrity and character throughout the summer.
Next: Summer Staff Positions